MENU
component-ddb-728x90-v1-01-desktop

Firefighters say fire at hotel “more than likely” caused by a cigarette

The Lexington Fire Department was called to a fire Wednesday evening at the Courtyard Marriott on Pleasant Ridge Drive.

LEXINGTON, Ky. - The Lexington Fire Department was called to a fire Wednesday evening at the Courtyard Marriott on Pleasant Ridge Drive.

Firefighters say upon arrival they didn’t see flames inside the hotel, however there was quite a bit of smoke.

Major Chris Harrod says there was a mulch fire behind the hotel that spread to the building.

“There was a mulch fire on the outside, more than likely started by a cigarette,” Major Harrod said.

Major Harrod said 80 rooms were booked at the hotel, and 120 people were inside the building at the time of the fire.

He says everyone made it out safely. Major Harrod said one person was treated at the scene for having difficulty breathing. He says that person did not need to be taken to the hospital.

Major Harrod said the hotel will remain evacuated overnight Wednesday while an electrical issue caused by the smoke can be fixed.

He said fire investigators will return Thursday to continue their investigation.

Trending