A Derby special: Woodford's $1000 Mint Julep
Woodford Reserve is now in its 12th year of offering $1,000 Mint Julep Cups at the race. This year's Woodford Reserve $1,000 Mint Julep Cup is presented under one theme: The Sport of Kings and Queens, with the cup paying tribute to the British origins of the Kentucky Derby. They're available for purchase online until noon, and a limited number will be available at Churchill Downs on Derby Day.
Trying to make one at home? Here's the Woodford Reserve 2017 $1,000 Mint Julep recipe:
- 1.5 oz Woodford Reserve Kentucky Straight Bourbon
- 1/4 oz Pimm's Liqueur®
- 1/2 oz Elderflower Cordial
- 1/4 oz Woodford Reserve® Mint Julep Simple Syrup
- 1 dash Earl Grey bitters
- Handful of mint
- Rub mint around the julep cup, expressing the essential oils.
- Add remaining ingredients and top with crushed ice.
- Churn ingredients with a bar spoon distributing the flavor.
- Top with additional crushed ice.
- Garnish with a bundle of baby's breath and mint.
- Sprinkle with dehydrated edible blue cornflowers.