Cool down this summer with ice cream pie
LEXINGTON, Ky. (WDKY) —
Ice Cream Caramel Pie
- 1 Wholly Wholesome Traditional Organic Pie Shell
- 2 pints vanilla ice cream
- 1/4 cup finely chopped pecans, plus extra for serving
- 4 peanut butter cups, roughly chopped
- 2 large chocolate-covered peanut butter crunch candy bars, such as Butterfinger, roughly chopped
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/2 cup half-and-half
- 4 tablespoons (1/2 stick) butter
- Pinch of salt
- 1 tablespoon vanilla
- Cook the pie crust according to the directions on the package, until golden brown. Let it cool.
- Remove the ice cream from the freezer and allow to soften slightly. Mix in the pecans, peanut butter cups and peanut butter crunch candy bars and pour the ice cream mixture into the crust. Cover with foil and freeze until very hard, about 1 to 2 hours.
- For the caramel sauce, mix the brown sugar, half-and-half, butter and salt in a saucepan over medium-low heat. Cook, while whisking gently, until thicker, about 5 to 7 minutes. Add the vanilla and cook another minute to thicken further. Pour the sauce into a jar and refrigerate until cold.
- To serve, cut slices of the pie and serve on individual plates with cold caramel sauce spooned over the top and sprinkled with pecans. Serve with extra caramel sauce on the side.