Indian dishes to try for Vegan Month
While many think of Thanksgiving as a time to pig out on turkey, it's actually the perfect month to learn more about the benefits of a meat-free diet.
People who eat plant-based diets tend to consume more fresh fruits, vegetables, whole grains, beans, legumes, nuts and seeds. This makes their diets higher in vitamins, minerals and fiber.
Studies have shown that people who have adopted vegan diets tend to have lower LDL levels, which ultimately means lower blood pressure and cholesterol levels.
Indian cuisine is packed with herbs and spices and is rich with varied ingredients. Plenty of entrees are vegan-friendly.
Dietician Holly Ruth joined us at Fox 56 to tell us more about the benefits of a vegan lifestyle and shared some of her favorite vegan meals from Tandoor chef.
To learn more tips on healthy eating from Holly Ruth visit www.dietitianhruth.com/
And to find more vegan dishes from Tandoor Chef visit www.tandoorchef.com/
24 oz. boiled potatoes
10 curry leaves
6 Tbsp. oil
4 tsp. sugar
1 tsp. cumin seeds
Garlic powder to taste
1/2 tsp. red chili powder
Add salt to taste
1. Cut the potatoes into small cubes. Chop the cilantro very finely. Cut the green chili into small pieces. Heat oil in a pan.
2. Add cumin seeds and let crackle. After cumin seeds start to crackle, add garlic powder and curry leaves.
3. Add potatoes while ingredients crackle in pan.
4. Lower heat to simmer and add green chili, salt, sugar, red chili powder and chopped cilantro.
5. Mix well and cover for 3-5 minutes.
6. Let cool for a few minutes and serve!