Popular hiking app AllTrails lists 828 trails, with even more secret trails available in the 19,375 square miles of forests in the Bluegrass State.
We have narrowed the selection down to some popular options to get you in a hiking mood and see the fall colors before the cold weather sets in for good.
Here are 6 great hikes to celebrate:
Short and Accessable:
- This park trail is located inside Lexington and is just over a half-mile. It features a paved loop walking path and some water features as you walk.
- This hike runs just over a half-mile, with some paved walkways. Those using mobility equipment may need some assistance.
Moderate, with a payoff:
- The trail runs 2.4 miles and rewards the hiker with a waterfall the feeds a small pool that flows into the Cumberland River.
- Running 3.1 miles this trail, the trail is a climb and will have you taking moving up the mountain a lot, but will reward you with a view of the mountains and all of the fall colors.
- An out and back intense trail that requires a short rope climb to finish. The trail is just over a mile and will give you a treetop view as a reward.
- This trail is tied to Kentucky history and is marked “Boone’s Overlook”, where many say Daniel Boone first looked over the Bluegrass region. The trail runs 1.25 miles and offers historical views for those who finish it.