MANCHESTER, Ky. (AP) – A Kentucky woman charged with killing her newborn son has entered a guilty plea as her trial was set to begin.
- Clay County woman charged after baby found in garbage bag
- Some say state’s safe haven law rarely utilized following Kentucky mother’s murder charge
- Mother accused of killing newborn child in garbage bag indicted on murder charge
- Family member ‘shocked’ as Clay County newborn murder suspect appears in court
- Mother of Clay County newborn found dead in garbage bag declared competent to stand trial
Amber Bowling, 25, had been set for trial on Monday, but instead entered a guilty plea, news outlets reported.
Bowling gave birth in December 2018 and placed the crying infant in a trash bag and threw it over the second-story banister of an apartment complex in Manchester, according to an arrest citation. The infant died of blunt force trauma to the head and chest, Clay County Coroner Danny Finley said.
The plea agreement calls for a recommended sentence of 40 years. Formal sentencing was set for June 27.