Heil is accused of getting behind the wheel, and hitting and killing 4-year-old Marco Shemwell. The crash happened back in 2018 near Kroger Field during a UK football game.
Tuesday, prosecutors and defense attorneys are focusing on what happened during the crash. A firefighter and police officers who were on scene gave their testimony as well as Ben Shemwell, Marco’s dad.
Ben Shemwell said he saw cars passing by, looked down at his sons, looked up, and saw a car coming towards them. Ben Shemwell said he stepped back grabbing Maximo with him but did not see Marco at his side.
“I turned and looked for Marco and he wasn’t there beside me. I realized he had been hit. I looked very close to me. It took me a while to find him. There was another tree on down the way. I saw him down there and headed down there,” Ben Shemwell said.
Ben Shemwell said he saw Marco’s body lying at the foot of a tree. He rushed over. He said Jacob Heil also go out of the car went over saying, “I’m sorry. I’m sorry.”
- Suspended UK student tells police he drank two beers before deadly collision
- Alpha Tau Omega closes UK chapter following pledge’s DUI arrest in deadly crash
- Former UK student’s district court DUI charge dismissed as circuit court case looms
- Parents of Marco Shemwell sue fraternity, claim culture of drinking led to son’s death
- Heil’s defense attorney want some evidence excluded from trial, jury to visit crash scene
We also heard from a witness who saw the crash and from Officer Sago, who spoke to Heil right after the incident. On the recording, Heil admitted that he had a few beers at a tailgate party.
Officer Sago said Heil was visibly upset about the crash after seeing Marco had been hit.
The trial is still ongoing. Stay with FOX 56 for updates.