UK says it could lose millions under proposed budget
FRANKFORT, Ky. - University of Kentucky president Eli Capilouto released a letter to the campus community Thursday morning, saying they are still evaluating all the aspects of the governor's proposal revealed here earlier this week, but says that it does represent millions of dollars in cuts at UK.
The university president says Gov. Matt Bevin's proposal of a 6.25 percent reduction is approximately $16 million of UK's base funding from the state starting in July.
Capilouto says the proposed cut is in addition to the one percent reduction – approximately $2.7 million – announced by the governor in December.
The 6.25 percent cuts comes with the elimination of 70 programs, as outlined by Gov. Bevin during his State of the Commonwealth address.
On Thursday in Frankfort, the Kentucky Together Coalition, made up of 38 organizations, voiced their concerns over the cuts to various education programs including textbooks, transportation, and teacher training calling for lawmakers to instead look at new avenues for revenue
"It contains very deep cuts to education and services. That's on top of 19 budget cuts over the last decade and we are disinvesting in things that would grow our economy," Jason Bailey of the Kentucky Center for Economic Policy said. "This would be the worst episode of that yet. We need a different path and I think we need to look at all the revenue options including all the money we give away in tax breaks."
As for UK's plan moving forward, Capilouto writes that because of the campus community's hard work, they have a powerful story to tell as to why they are critical to the prosperity in the state.
It's a story they say they plan to tell with pride as the legislature works through the budget proposal.