UK's Good Samaritan Hospital emergency room closed after chemical spill
LEXINGTON, Ky. (WDKY) - Crews are investigating a chemical spill inside UK's Good Samaritan Hospital. Firefighters were called out to the hospital on South Limestone around 5:40 a.m. Monday.
Firefighters say a small amount of liquid phenol was spilled in the basement. The chemical, common in hospitals, is both corrosive and toxic.
Four people have been decontaminated after the spill. Emergency officials say around a dozen people are being observed.
The emergency room is closed, and the HVAC system in the hospital has been shut down.
No patients were evacuated.
We are told there is some damage to the basement floor.
Crews are still trying to assess the situation, but they say only about 8 ounces of the chemical were spilled.
There are no reports of any injuries.